Tuesday, August 21, 2012

"Umm Babe Wake Up, My Water Broke."

As all of you know Frank and I welcomed our baby girl Madison Noelle Chou to the world on August 14th. Since non of you were able to make it, I wanted to share my experience.

August 13th was a Monday, and it was a busy one. It was Gail's last day in America before she flew home that next morning. So before she left, we spent the day out to lunch at Red Lobster, then to my 37 week check up, and running other errands until I had to go to night school. Every five feet Gail got pictures of us, most of them we weren't prepared for. At my 37 week check up the doc said I was dilated 1cm. The previous day I had just talked to April Foutz and she told me that when her doc checked her at 38 weeks her water broke that night. So I was nervous after being checked because I still had 2 weeks of school left before I would graduate. At night school I worked in dispense, handing out color and product to all the students. I was trying to avoid anything that could send me into labor. All the girls said my belly looked really low and they thought I was going to pop at school. I knew my body was different those last two days. I had more frequent contractions, terrible back pains, and my whole body ached. Regardless, I made it through another night of night school and I was in bed by 12am.
Me at Red Lobster August 13th

Suddenly I felt a warm sensation that instantly made me wake right up. I thought to myself, 'you've got to be kidding me.' I hurried to the bathroom and sure enough my water had broke. I started to panic, how do I tell frank? I didn't want to wake him up, it was 2:30am. I was trying to avoid the fact that I was in labor, I was hoping it was a dream. I went to the bedside and started to shake Frank's arm. "Umm babe, wake up" Frank got all grumpy and asked "What?" I told him my water broke and it was time. He sat straight up and asked, "Are you kidding me? Ugh, this is not a good day." 
It was supposed to be Frank's first day of Grad school at BYU. Not to mention his mom was catching a shuttle to the airport around 9am, and I was supposed to be at school at 8:30. He ran out into the living room and woke his mom up. Now there were 3 of us freaking out. I called my mom and told her today was the day and to get here asap. Frank was in turbo mode and was dressed and pacing back and forth around the house trying to get whatever we needed. I just stared at my closet freaking out. All I could think about was my bag wasn't packed yet, now I didn't know what to wear. I threw some sweats and a black shirt in my bag and a few other necessities. Everything and everyone was ready but I still wasn't dressed. Frank, in blue football print pajama bottoms and an orange shirt, told me to just throw stuff on and let's go. I was freaking out so much I couldn't pick a stupid shirt out, and I had an excuse for why I couldn't wear every shirt he told me to put on. 'I can't wear all black' 'That shirt's stupid' 'That shirt needs layers...' Finally I was dressed and headed out the door. 
At this point my contractions were two minutes apart and the worst pain in the world. I was ready to dome sock Frank and his mom, for no reason other than I was in pain. We arrived to the hospital at 3am and I walked to the check-in counter. The freakin lady sat there asking me questions about who I was, I was getting very angry. She finally let me through the doors and into the room where they would determine if I was in labor or not. The next 25 minutes were all super gross and super annoying. The dumb lady kept asking me questions about my health. As the pain got worse I looked at Frank and told him it was adoption from here on out. The nurses laughed, but I wasn't kidding. Gail kept snapping pictures and telling me to smile, if I could have moved I would of torn that thing right out of her hands. I threw my fist up for a picture and asked her if she wanted to know how I was feeling. I told her I could remind her since it had been 25 years since she was in labor. She laughed and said no thank you. 
Once they officially determined I was in labor, they put me in my room. The funny thing was, after my appointment the day before, we took a tour of the hospital. While on the tour they told us they were packed and only had two rooms left, one of them was a last resort room with no bath tub or extra bed. Well I got stuck in the dang reject room. On top of that the IV lady had a hard time putting in my hand IV. It hurt more than any contraction I had ever had. The pain was making me ruder and ruder by the second. I called her an idiot then apologized immediately. 
By 4am the epidural guy, aka my best friend, had arrived. I was terrified it would hurt like my IV did. Nothing...I felt maybe a little pinch, then a cool sensation as the medicine went down my spine. Within minutes my body was warm and tingly from my belly button and down. It was the best feeling in my entire life. 
The nurse informed us that I was still only a centimeter dilated and it would be hours before I would start pushing. So after a couple hours of rest I sent Frank and Gail home to get ready for the shuttle and to go to school. All alone at 7am I called my friend McCall. She took the day off of school and met me at the hospital. 
Around 9am the pitocin was doing it's job and I was dilated to a 4. My monitor showed I was having back to back contractions but I couldn't feel a thing. By 10am I was a 6, so I called Frank and told him to get here asap because it was happening fast. At that point all the nurses were setting up my room. I called my mom one last time to tell her I was about to push, she cried and apologized for missing the labor, but that she would be there soon. 
Frank arrived at about 10:30 and I started pushing at 11. That last hour was the worst, I was terrified, alone, and in pain. I say alone because I was the only one in pain, and no one could help me at that point. Frank and McCall sat by my side while I cried from the pain. Once I started pushing I didn't feel anything but pressure. 
At 11:46am Madison Noelle Chou was born. The second I saw her I cried uncontrollably. I was a mommy. Frank and McCall were taking pictures and telling me how pretty she was. Frank came to my side and kissed me, he told me how proud he was of me. A few seconds later the doctor pulled out my placenta and blood splashed all over franks shoe and leg. Funniest thing I'd seen all day. He then decided he was going to stand by where Madison was. 
Madison was born 6lbs 1oz and 18 inches long. She was the most beautiful swollen faced, cone headed baby in all the world. 

Maddie is the best baby. She is doing great for a 3 week early premie. She did however test high for Jaundice. She has been on lights 24/7, or as much as mommy can stand being away from her. She is so sweet and loves nothing more than to cuddle all day. She had a hard time learning how to breastfeed, but is a champ now. She's now a week old, 5lbs 11oz and her bilirubin results are going down. 


How can you not love this little face??

We are sad that Gail missed the delivery by 2 hours. There was no way to switch her flights otherwise we would have. My mom had arrived around 6pm and my father arrived around 9pm. It meant a lot to me that my parents dropped everything they had going on to come out to Utah and not only be with me, but to meet Madison. Mom stayed until that next Monday morning. It was the best having her here to guide me through my first few days. Especially since I forgot I had signed up for my Cosmetology State Board Written Exam that following Monday. She let me sleep through the night, which helped me pass my test. Other then changing her and never letting her go, mom pretty much just took three million pictures of her. Thank you everyone for helping us out! We love being parents and are so excited to watch her grow up! 
We move this coming weekend and I couldn't be more excited to finally set up her room and decorate with the cutest little girl stuff. 
We are blessing her Oct. 21st here in Mapleton Utah. Anyone and Everyone is welcome to come! You won't want to miss this cute little face. :)





2 comments:

  1. I am so glad she is here! Wish I was there to help! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... reading this made me start to cry too. Gosh us hormonal women! Congratulation guys! So excited for you guys. She totally looks like you too Ash! She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete